SWEET MEDICAL CENTER
Sweet Medical Center, Inc. believes that each employee makes a significant contribution to our success. That contribution should not be limited by the assigned responsibilities. Therefore, this position description is designed to outline primary duties, qualifications and job scope, but not limit the employee nor SMC to just the work identified. It is our expectation that each employee will offer his/her services wherever and whenever necessary to ensure the success of our endeavors.
JOB TITLE: Laboratory Technician
POSITION CLASSIFICATION: Non-Exempt
JOB SUMMARY: The laboratory technician is an employee of the Sweet Medical Center (SMC). In accordance with the policies established by the SMC Governing Board and under the direction of the CEO and the SMC Clinical Leadership Team, the laboratory technician works as a member of the clinical team. Duties include providing phlebotomy, laboratory tests, preparing and shipping specimens to the reference lab, providing documentation of test results to SMC and other referring providers, offering interpretation information to providers when requested, assisting with maintenance of credentials and compliance mandates, requisitioning appropriate supplies and equipment, and maintaining equipment.
- Perform phlebotomy and laboratory tests as required by health care providers.
- Pack and ship specimens for the reference lab as required.
- Provide and maintain documentation of results of on-site testing and reference lab testing to appropriate provider and ensure it is recorded in patient chart.
- Provide professional interpretation information to providers when requested or when advised by the lab director or other clinical laboratory advisors.
- Requisition and maintain all laboratory equipment and supplies.
- Perform and document all appropriate proficiency studies and quality control procedures.
- Provide CPT/billing information to SMC financial management personnel.
- Ensure OSHA compliance in all aspects of department, including labeling chemicals and supplies and maintaining MSDS.
- Maintain current Laboratory Procedure Manual and staff training competencies.
- Actively involved in day-to-day clinic operational flow and assists with all aspects of coordinating and delivering patient care and during exams and procedures.
- Works collaboratively with SMC and area healthcare professionals to coordinate ancillary care services.
- Participates in Quality Improvement activities and the development of policies and procedures appropriate for patient care.
- Participates in all other compliance activities necessary for the optimal function of SMC, including but not limited to, quality assurance, HRSA program requirements, safety activities, and OSHA requirements.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Phlebotomy Certificate preferred.
- Laboratory Scientist expertise/experience preferred.
- Clinic/Outpatient primary care experience preferred.