Sweet Medical Center, Inc. believes that each employee makes a significant contribution to our success. That contribution should not be limited by the assigned responsibilities. Therefore, this position description is designed to outline primary duties, qualifications and job scope, but not limit the employee nor SMC to just the work identified. It is our expectation that each employee will offer his/her services wherever and whenever necessary to ensure the success of our endeavors.
JOB TITLE: Patient Service Representative/Administrative Assistant
POSITION CLASSIFICATION: Non-Exempt
JOB SUMMARY: The Patient Service Representative/Administrative Assistant is an employee of the Sweet Medical Center. In accordance with the policies established by the SMC Governing Board and under the direction of the SMC CEO and CFO, this position works as a member of both the clinical team and of the business and operational services support team. Duties include coordinating patient/provider schedules, scheduling appointments, greeting patients, handling patient records, and telephone communications. Administrative duties include providing professional level support in the business operations of SMC with focus on revenue cycle/billing, accounts payable functions and acting as a patient liaison in related areas.
- Serves as frontline public relations representative for Sweet Medical Center, Inc. with clients, visitors, and callers including providing information to clinic visitors and staff in person or by phone.
- Coordinates daily flow of patients with clinical team as well as sets up schedules in computer and schedules appointments in accordance with SMC policies and procedures. Coordinates and monitors schedule changes.
- Receives patients and initiates visit by gathering and confirming relevant financial and demographic information and entering it into practice management system. This includes entering statistical data into practice management system as required, i.e. UDS surveys and any required custom field entries. Ensures patient and insurance data is current, including verification and authorization of Passport provider.
- Performs initial education and assessment with patient for SMC Health Assistance Program (HAP). Refers patient to HAP Manager for application process, as applicable.
- Performs initial triage of acute patients requesting care, referring to Clinical Triage when required.
- Patient liaison for billing concerns, taking payments, and other financial concerns.
- Utilizes privacy guidelines and clinic policies, releases copies of medical records for patients, insurance, billing or other providers.
- Performs scanning and works with others to ensure timely and appropriate scanning are complete.
- General administrative support to the CEO and CFO including visitor management, scheduling assistance, mail management, document preparation, minute taking, filing etc.
- Performs revenue cycle support functions including batch posting, payment posting, serving as a liaison with contracted RCM groups for work queue management and issue resolution.
- Actively supports the CFO with payroll preparation processes, office supply ordering and vacation calendar maintenance.
- Develop and maintain provider/SMC credentialing records.
- Assist in the development of Outreach & Enrollment efforts as well as maintenance of the various support programs including vouchers and 340B.
- Assist with marketing and public relations activities.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or GED. Advanced education preferred.
- Previous experience commensurate with the skills required for the performance of the position.
- Medical office experience preferred.
- Working knowledge of common business and computer software and office equipment.
- Customer service skills.
Sitting, standing, walking, lifting, carrying, stooping, bending, grasping.
Hearing, sight and speech are essential to perform the duties of this position.
There is a potential hazard for exposure to blood and body fluids.